Monday, January 22, 2007

Just some more random stuff.

First off, I dread the holidays. I do. I dread them. All the jockying from the outlaws, all the demands, mailing gifts (I HATE that with a passion because I tend to procrastinate), shopping, worrying, I just want them over with. This year, at the last minute, my mom asked me to send cookies to my brother in Iraq. No problem at all...until she informed me that I was expected to bake for his whole troop AND they had to be sent out in five days. 22.9 POUNDS of cookies went to Iraq. Anyway, now that the holidays are all over and won’t be around for another 10 months, I am finally in the mood to enjoy them. How effed up is that? Don’t get me wrong, I am very much looking forward to spring as always. (Of course, except for mud and 8 paws to wipe every time they come in the house.) I just wish that the holidays could come at a time when I am prepared to enjoy them. Like now. :)

In other news, DH has us on a whole foods diet. Virtually nothing processed. Everything is veggies, fruits (fresh or dried at home), beans, lean meat (no lunch meat), nuts. If we do make something with flour, we use whole wheat flour and if something calls for sugar we use honey instead. The only fat we use to cook with is olive oil and every once in while we’ll use some butter on something like squash. It’s working nicely. Who knew that cabbage, sauteed with mustard and walnuts would be so freaking yummy!! Or potato leek soup!! I actually find that we are not wanting for snack foods that we normally have in the house: Sunchips, Triscuits, pretzels, corn chips, etc. Grab a handful of nuts, some dried fruit, or carrots and hummus and you’re good to go. I know to some of you think this sounds like absolute torture but we were eating so poorly and drinking so much that this is a welcome change. I also find that we are spending about $30.00 less in groceries every week in addition to the $50 less in a week in booze and soda. We did buy a bottle of wine Friday night and 1/3 of it is still on the counter.

I am going to Minneapolis for four days in February to visit my friend Heather. I can’t wait!!! And DH and I are going to Vegas in March for a wedding. We’re both Vegas virgins so it should be interesting. The only down side is we have to board the dogs for 6 nights. It makes me sick to my stomach but at least they’ll be together in the same 8x6 kennel. The boarding facility has the option of having a webcam on their kennel so you can check in on them anytime you wish. I would be glued that thing 24-7 making sure they were okay so that’s probably not a good idea. What does one wear in Vegas? Oh and we're staying in the Pyramid thingy. Anything that is a must see when you go to Vegas? We will not have a car. I do get to meet the peeps that we adopted Bear from. :) (The Rescue not the owners!)

5 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

I stayed at the Luxor a couple of times. The elevators are called inclinators because they go up at an angle because of the pyramid shape.

I like walking down the strip and going into each hotel. Each one is so unique. Be sure to see the Venecian and the Bellagio. The fountains at the Bellagio dance in rhythm to music.

You can wear whatever you want in Vegas. I think people sometimes dress up a little more than at home, though.

 
At 4:30 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Sounds like your mom took advantage of your helpfulness. Grrrr.

The whole foods thing always sounded appealing to me, but Chris would never go for it. Do you go to the grocery store every three days or so to refresh your fruits and veggies? I think I'd miss sauces for chicken and such, even with using spices. I suppose fresh fruit juices would make good sauces, though.

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger thndrkttn said...

Puffy, I have been told to check out the Bellagio. Everyone tells me it's incredible. I'll have to get some photos of the water fountains!!!

Kim-no kidding! It cost me over $150 in ingredients, shipping containers and shipping. I am thrilled he and his troops enjoyed them but a little notice would have been nice since I was baking for other peeps as well and didn't have much spare time. I baked every night for 5 nights. At the end, I was baked OUT and not in the good way.

Most of the things we buy keep quite a while, such as bananas, apples, carrots, leeks, sweet potatoes, etc. We eat the things that will go bad first like aspargus, salad, tomatoes and then start on the rest so we don't have to make two trips. We also received one of those food sealers for x-mas and have been using that.

We really don't use sauces unless it can be made with chicken or vegetable stock. It sounds boring but your taste buds really adapt.

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Hmmm, that sounds like a pretty good diet. We'll see how I do this week. If I don't lose, maybe I'll try this.
Let's talk before you go to Vegas. I? am not a Vegas virgin by far. :)

 
At 5:17 PM, Blogger mm said...

I've heard that the Luxor is really fun to stay at. We loved Caesar's Palace because of the shopping and dining there, but we actually stayed *off* the strip, at a Hilton. You'll have a blast there!

Sorry about the dog dilemma. :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home