Monday, May 15, 2006

Bear is home.

Hello all. Bear is home safe and sound and is feeling much better. This post is probably going to be a bit somber as it was not the pleasant "Gotcha Day" that we all thought it was going to be. It was traumatic, at best. Hindsight being 20/20, I would never, ever have put an older dog through that. I would have let him be adopted out locally. I felt very guilty for being what I consider to be selfish. I wanted him and I was going to do anything to get him. I did not think of how awful this could possibly be for him. But, the past is the past and he is home now and doing very well.

We left the house at 3:00 am. Here’s a picture of the clock.















As they pulled his crate out of the van, I was in tears seeing that face. You can tell by the look on his face that he is in distress and the fact that he’s holding himself about 2 inches above the crate floor because there is so much filth and he doesn't want to sit in it.













My husband cut the zip ties and let him out and that is when we saw just how sick he had been. I was in complete shock. Long story short, DH and I cleaned him up the best we could. You would think that if Continental is in the business of shipping pets and have a "Pet Safe" program, they would have a bathing station for situations such as this.



















I am not going to post the pictures of him at this point. It's too upsetting. It took us about an hour to clean him off and clean his crate out enough to be able to put him in the car for the 2.5 hour drive home. Did I mention that my husband’s Honda Accord is about a week old? *sigh* Bear did try to climb into the trunk because he thought it was an SUV. :) This is Bear in the backseat. He was so accustomed to having a camera pointed at him, he got right in my face to get a good shot.
















The ride home was pretty uneventful other than me sobbing the whole way because I felt so bad for him. Bear did not sleep at all on the way home. Just rested. Once we got closer to home, we rolled the window down enough so he could stick his head and smell all the dampness and new smells. I love this picture.




















When we got home, he had more diarrhea, fortunately, not in the car. After some Pepto and drinking about 40 oz. of water, Bear settled down next to my DH who had become his hero if for nothing more than letting him out of that hellhole crate. You can tell he is still pretty defeated.




















We stayed outside for at least 3 hours to see if he was going to have any more spells. I think at that point, he was pretty much empty. We brought Thea out who immediately was "arrrrooooarrrooooing" at the strange dog in her yard. They went up, sniffed each other and that was it. Not one single issue. I also think she could tell he was upset and sick. She is normally waaaaay more playful than that but she never jumped on him and gave him his space. We then took him upstairs and gave him a bath. He was perfectly well behaved. I don’t have pictures of his bath as we were more concerned with getting him cleaned up and comfortable. Now that he was dry and had been with us for about nine hours, Bear saw DH on the couch and decided that where he wanted to be too. Notice the look on my DH’s face. DH is perfectly head over heels in love with Bear.














Notice the yellow lab colored blankets covering the couch ;-) Bear then wanted to get real close to DH and repositioned himself. This? Made my heart melt.















Of course since this is normally Thea’s spot, she had to get up there too.













We didn’t pull out his new bed until we were sure that he wasn’t going to have any issues so we folded up an old comforter and put in on the floor. He finally was getting some much needed rest.
















After a dinner of boiled ground turkey and rice for Bear, we all slept about 11 - 12 hours that night with potty breaks every four hours for Bear. Everyone was exhausted. The next day, things were much brighter. As evidenced by his face.


















We pulled out his new fluffy bed and tucked it in a corner. His first foster mom had told us that he didn’t like to sleep out in the open and that’s very true. He looked so comfy that I wanted to crawl in there with him.
















We had some friends come over to see the new addition and we played with tennis balls inside the house. There was much more tail wagging and goofiness than the day before. And I finally got what I had been waiting for. The smile and a wet nose. (dry nose means they are sick)




















We are loving him very gently so as not to upset him and monitoring his every move, sigh, groan, snore, anything and everything. Good news is after not pooping for 30 hours or so, he had a somewhat firm bowel movement this morning. Right now he’s at home resting and Thea is in her crate.

I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful this dog is. A wonderful, trusting disposition. He has a face like no other. He looks at you and his expression is so interesting. He looks as though you and he have been having a conversation and he says to you "And you were saying?"
I will close with something that the Resuce had taped to his crate when she shipped him. My DH saved it for me as he knew I would want it. It says it all.





















I also wanted to add, that had it not been for DH, I honestly don't know how I would have gotten through the airport scene. I was a complete basketcase. DH is a ROCK.

ETA: Thank you Carey!

29 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

*smooch*
I'm so glad that all has calmed down. I thought about you all day and hoped that Bear was doing better. I love the pictures. *hugs*

 
At 2:17 PM, Blogger mm said...

Oh my goodness, that story brought tears and smiles. I am so glad there are people like you, who rescue animals and give them the love they need. Bear looks like a unique dog, and his eyes are so kind.

*smooches*

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger yvonne said...

*looks over shoulder*

I couldn't wait until I got home from work to check on Bear so I am breaking the rules and logging on at work.

*looks over shoulder again*

I am so glad Bear is better, Tkit. The pictures are so sweet. I love him just from his pictures, I can only imagine how you and your hubby feel.

Your story made me cry. I'm so glad he is your's to love and care for. He is one lucky Bear.

*hugs*

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Swami said...

Thank you, Tkit for being so generous with your story & pictures - especially the smiling Bear at the end. All's well that ends well. I hope Bear and the Tkits have many wonderful years together and generate albums of happy photos!

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger kim (weltek) said...

Oh geez, you had ME in tears! I love those pictures on the couch & the ones where Bear is feeling better! He & Thea will be best friends!

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger ~Nutz said...

Oh my! Poor Bear! :(

I'm so glad he recovered from the trip quickly! he looks very happy now!

*wetnosesmooches* for Bear & Thea

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

I want to know what was on disc 6 and what song number 1 was. And what's in the cup next to DH? *grin*
And why aren't there any pictures with you? *glare*

And how is everybody today? Adjusting better?

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger mtw said...

*sigh*

Okay, I admit I got teary eyed reading your story. I'll bet Bear would do it all over again knowing he gets to be with you guys for the rest of his life! What a lucky dog!

Good dog! Good dog!
*pats Bear on head*

I'm with Carey - how come no pics of you?

 
At 9:30 AM, Blogger Lasann said...

DH is to be commended for his compassion. Lucky you!

Bear is indeed a special dog! And the two of you are special for loving him.

 
At 10:09 AM, Blogger Glowie said...

oh man. That made me cry. Especially the happy picture near the end and the picture of your DH looking down at him. oh man. Thank you sooooo much for sharing this with us with so many pictures and such detail. *hug* Please give DH, Bear, and Thea big hugs from me too. And Ryan too!

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

I meant to ask how Ryan was adapting to the new addition.

 
At 10:50 AM, Blogger Schnookie said...

*sniffle*

Thanks for sharing Bear's arrival with us. Poor guy! What a mess! Look how quickly he recovered though, no surprise. You and DH are absolutely wonderful. I adore the picture of Thea and Bear on the sofa with your DH. How awesome that they are comfortable with each other right away. That last pic of Bear really brought the tears to my eyes. It says it all. He's one happy doggie now.

*SMOOOOOOOOOOOCH*

 
At 10:57 AM, Blogger thndrkttn said...

Thanks everyone! He's doing really well. I am kind of surprised at how much he has adjusted already! It's as though he has always lived with us. He is a very affectionate dog. That picture of him and DH on the couch is very telling of how cuddly he is.

At the airport when we got into the car, I was pretty much bawling at having put Bear through this awful ordeal. DH turned to me and said "Every dog needs a home. His home is with us. He's going to be just fine." Did I marry a prince or what?

Carey, Ryan is not doing so hot. Bear barks and growls at him which I just don't get. He never had a problem with the his foster's cats. When Bear first came in the house, he and Ryan sniffed each other and didn't have a problem. Now Bear has issue with him. Needless to say, Ryan has been laying low. :(

 
At 11:27 AM, Blogger Surveysez said...

Glad to read the update. Bear's misery was short term compared to the time ahead with your family. (And I hope he adjusts to Ryan soon.)

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Bravie said...

Hopefully they will adjust to each other. And if not, then hopefully they will just stay clear of each other. One of my cats HATES my little Leo and she does nothing but growl at him. She never attacks him but she barks at him like a dog and she growls at him.

*smooches*

 
At 12:12 PM, Blogger Glowie said...

It took one of my cats, Serena, a very long time to come around when we first got Sebastian. Ryan will come around and Bear will get used to him.

 
At 12:13 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Each time I saw one of your pictures, I was going to say that it was my favorite, until I saw the NEXT one! This is a poignant and heartwarming story. You're all very lucky.

 
At 1:12 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

I had to come back to see the pics again and found something to laugh at this time.

I notice your DH has the remote control firmly planted in his hands all the time LOL.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Awwww! I'm glad that story had a happy ending.

Bear and Thea look like brother and sister! Cuties!

*smooch*

 
At 1:32 PM, Blogger thndrkttn said...

LOL Nookie! He was watching the Carolina play New Jersey in hockey. His cousin plays for Carolina so he has control of the remote during the games. At all other times, I do. *snicker*

 
At 3:06 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

:-)

This is such a heartwarming story. I can't wait for my DH to get home tonight so I can tell him all about it.

You and your DH are so wonderful *smoooooooochies*

Nookie <--- thinks T-Kit and her DH are also uber hot looking *sizzle*

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

Step away from the Tkit's, Nookie. *evil glare* I spotted them first.
*grin*

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

I don't know about that Carey. I've been crushing on the T-Kits for a very looooooong time. Even before they were Mr. & Mrs. T-Kit. *grin*

 
At 3:59 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

But did you admit to your crush? Because I was bold enough to just come out and tell her that I crushed on her. So back away lady!!!

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

Hey! Who're you calling a lady? Them's fightin' words!
*gigglesnort*

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Swami said...

*stays away from the Carey/Nookie cat fight*

Thanks for the update, Tkit. Once he is fully settled in I think if you just tell Bear to leave the cat alone, he will.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay, Tkit. I'm so happy it turned out so well.

Bear is very lucky to have you and DH and Thea.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Schnookie said...

You know, Poopie's face looks human. It's eerie.

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger momma said...

*sniffle*
*wipes eyes*

I'm so glad Bear is home, doing well, and becoming a part of the family. While his journey home may have been rough, it makes his love that much more special.

*smooch* to you and DH for being such wonderful Lab parents.

*hugs* to Bear and Thea

Oh. And I too want to know WHY there are no Tkit and Bear pictures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home