Monday, September 28, 2009

Riding was fantastic!

I went riding last Wednesday and it was one of the best experiences I have ever had in a lesson. I've been riding since I was about 15 and actually rode in college. I had just started jumping when I had to stop because of money. Riding is expensive!

So it was a semi-private hour lesson with three other ladies. One of them is a close friend who was a hunter/jumper in her younger years and is just getting back into riding. The instructor was great working with us on fine tuning hand positions, keeping the horse on the rail and not letting them cheat. (My horse cheated every chance he could. To his credit, he had been ridden all day and just wanted to go back to the barn and eat.) There was a great deal of leg work using just your leg pressure to give them signals. I drive a stick shift car and I was in so much pain on Friday that I had to pick my left leg up with my hand to put it on the clutch! I am still not right today but you know what? After my accident and being afraid for so long, I was and am thrilled to be back in the saddle. I absolutely love it! If things continue to go this well, DH and I have already talked and I will be leasing a horse next spring. Ah, another great thing about NC. I can ride all year long. :)

3 Comments:

At 3:52 AM, Blogger Tummy said...

Call me crazy but I love the smell of horses. Good for you on riding again! And yes, I have had many of those days where you ache in places you didn't know you could ache.

 
At 8:12 AM, Blogger thndrkttn said...

Tummy, there is nothing like the smell of a horse barn. The hay, the horses, the leather...love it!

I had no idea that the inside of my thighs could or would ache that badly. But, the bright side is the ache only means they'e getting stronger. :)

 
At 11:20 AM, Blogger Swami said...

Hooray for riding again! I rode in college too.

I love everything about horses but seldom rode after college - too expensive & no time. Now I feel too old. I have never owned a horse. :(

So - Lease a Horse, TK! Lease a Horse, TK! Lease a Horse, TK! Lease a Horse, TK! I will ride vicariously through you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home