Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hola!

I saw Boo’s blog entry and figured it was a good time to update.

1. My marriage has survived the move in tact. We are happy and back to normal. There are still a few small wounds but we’ll survive.

2. I am working for the same peeps that I worked for in NY. Can you believe that? I never thought I would end up in another of these places but here I am. I started in April (3 weeks ahead of schedule) doing what I did back up north, sans the supervisory duties. I am just going to leave is as “it wasn’t a good fit.” You can’t take someone with 12 years of experience and have them supervised by someone with virtually none. Another position opened up, more money, WAY more opportunity and REALLY exciting!!! I was approached privately and was asked to apply for it. I did and I got the job. It is a much more independent position which I love. I am one of those -just leave me alone and let me do my work- kind of people. There are a lot of pluses to this new position; skills I can take with me, especially being in the second largest financial hub in the US (the position has to do with finance). Plus, if they are willing to teach me a whole new field while paying me, who am I to turn them down?? Knowledge is money in the bank. I don’t want to say here what the position is so, if you want to know, email or pm me.

3. I can’t even believe it but the other TEE? (there were two if you guys recall, the Big TEE and her toadie), wants to come to the Charlotte office and actually had the nerve to email me asking me about the office. I didn’t answer.

4. I still feel I need to clear up my views re: the stay at home v. working thing. I think I was a little too harsh in Boo’s blog but I think I was also not as clear as I could have been. For me personally, it was awful because it wasn’t a choice. I wasn’t a stay at home wife. I was UNEMPLOYED. I think there is a MONUMENTAL difference between two spouses deciding together that one is going to stay home and the flipside of one spouse working (expecting the other to get a job immediately) while said other frantically searches for a job and comes up empty handed time and time again. It was humiliating and wreaked havoc on my self-confidence. I used very little time to enjoy myself and spent most of my 9 months off looking for a job or moping/crying about not having a job. Now I have Friday off while I switch between the two positions and technically for the day, I’ll be unemployed but you bet your butt I’ll be at the pool enjoying a sunny day with 90 degrees temps.

5. DH is doing really well in his position. He made 6 figures for the first time. He’s pretty excited about that and he’s being considered for a VP slot. We work WAY more hours down here than we did in NY but I think the experience is invaluable.

6. Strangely enough, we have a much more active social life here that we did in NY. I made a point to actively try and make friends, something I really didn’t do when I moved to Albany. I have met some great folks that we go out to dinner with, play dates with the dogs, picnics, dinner parties, etc.

7. Our neighbors on one side are great. (Well, if I am going to be honest, they are great on all sides compared to the hell that we lived next to in Albany) However, since two of the sides have kids and we don’t, they kind of shun us. The woman directly across the street is my age and has never, not once, said hello to me and it seems as though she goes out of her way to look away if I am outside. I spoken to her husband a billion times (he kept bringing me stray dogs he’s found) but nothing from her. Not a huge deal but it does bother me a little.

8. OMG. I love having a neighborhood pool! *waves to Boo*

9. We’re going back up north at the end of August. I am so homesick for Lake Ontario it makes me physically ill at times. That’s really the only thing that I struggle with these days is the home sickness. When I was in NYC I could just drive home on the weekends and now it involves vacation time, plane flights and dog sitters, etc. *sigh*

10. I have gained weight from quitting smoking, my injury and being severely depressed this winter and this really bothers me. I am just too freakin’ tired when I get home from work to work out. Once it cools down, I am going to start walking at lunch as I did in NY.

11. There’s a little neighborhood theater in the NoDa district and so far we’ve seen .moe and Dickey Betts play there. There’s only about 700 seats so it’s like partying with the band. So fun! AND? We’re going to see the Black Crowes two nights in November!!! WOOT!

12. I have a bunch of pics of the view from my office and Speed Street that I need to resize and post. I’ll do that tonight when I get home from work.

How’s that for an update? And btw, I read the blogs almost every day, I just don’t have anything of value to add, with the exception of thinking that Mark is one of the best and most thoughtful fathers a girl could ask for. :)

8 Comments:

At 7:06 PM, Blogger Puffy said...

Woo hoo! An update. I agree about a difference between imposed and unwanted stay-at-home and desiring stay-at-home. Perhaps the woman across the street feels threatened by you because you don't have any children and her husband talks to you.

I've been enjoying our neighborhood pool lately, too. Small theatres are fun. It seems like this is ending up to be a good move after all.

I agree about Mark-what a dad!

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger kevingrout said...

Good to see you back, updated, and doing well.

Too funny (well, kinda scary actually) about TEE wanting to come down there.

I visit all the blogs too, but don't comment often enough. And frankly? Mark is my hero. Just don't tell him I said that as I don't want it to go to his head :-)

 
At 6:46 PM, Blogger yvonne said...

It's good to see an update. It's especially good to see things are really going well for you two.

*big hugs*

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Swami said...

Oh good - an update! (I almost gave up hope for one.)

I am very glad you are well & happy and doing things in life & work that make you happy.

I love small venue theaters! There are several in the Twin Cities that we enjoy going to.

*looks around blog for promised pictures*

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger MM said...

Wow, what an update! So much good news, and I'm so happy for you. I'm glad you ignored TEE's email.

As for the mom who is shunning you, maybe she just needs some time? I have new neighbors myself and to be honest, I've yet to make eye contact with them either. I guess reading your perspective makes me realize how it must seem to them (and I don't even know if these people have kids or how many even live there, lol). She might be waiting for you to make a move (some people are like that). I'd just hate to think you are feeling bad about it when it might not be necessary.

{{hugs))! So happy to have this update and can't wait for the pics.

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*pats self on back for getting an upate out of you*

Just kidding. I'm so glad to read much better news from Tkit! Very happy for you.

 
At 2:20 AM, Blogger Silvergirl said...

The woman across the street might be one of those people who thinks she doesn't have anything in common with you, so she doesn't have anything to say - or she's shy. Maybe.

Glad to hear that both of your jobs are going so well down there.

DH and I are talking about moving to small town western NY state - around the finger lakes region possibly. Not a sure thing, though we really like the area and the land is dirt cheap up there.

I'd be jealous of your pool, but a friend has let us use hers a few times this summer, so I can't complain.

 
At 5:50 PM, Blogger Bravie said...

It sounds like things have come together for you, Tkit. Great job. *smooch*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home